Preparation For Higher Education
PREPARATION FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
Even though graduation is the most exciting time for the majority of the students across the globe, it is also the climax of your education life. It is a very important term in your life where you have to go through a rather tough time to make decisions that will bring fruitful results in your future and get you your dream life. It is important that you have a plan before jumping into conclusions before taking a leap into the ocean of higher education. The list below discusses certain topics that will help you in preparing you for your higher education.
Your counselor is your ultimate guidance
Every career services have an advisor or a motivator for a reason and these don’t go to waste. Many career foundations and organizations set up a counselor for their students to help them figure out a blueprint of what they would want to achieve in their life. They help them set up goals. The students are more likely to be motivated and highly inspired by their advisors or counselors to help them take a further leap into their career and overcome failures. They even help out students to manage their finances and the type of lifestyle that would fit them the best in accordance with their financial status. Career services like these are essential for you if you want to foot in the door of work experiences before completing your education. Not only that, but these services will also help you write letters, resumes and CV a lot more professionally. It is of no doubt that professionalism plays a crucial role in the career market.
Learn more about the requirements for college and meeting the expectations for admission
Every school has a different set up for requirements for higher education. Grades, test scores, resumes and more are important factors in terms of getting an admission. You have to be aware of the requirements of your desired schools before taking any standardized tests such as SAT and ACT. Certain schools will look for certain requirements and may need you to meet their expectations to be eligible enough to get you admitted. Some schools may want to look at your SAT and others may want you to have other extra curriculum activities. There are also test scores that you will be expected to meet. Depending on the school you are trying to get an admission from, it is very important for you to inquire which school would want to you to meet certain expectations. However, if you are lucky enough some schools may be flexible enough and others might not. So it is for you to decide what school you are looking forward to get admitted in.
Create better relationships with people to gain references
Molding better relationships with different teachers and students is a general need throughout your life in high school. Building communications with different types of teachers open up to wider networking. Students should make sure of maintaining a well-behaved profile and nurturing their conduct. Down the road of your high school life, you will be required to write two or four recommendation letters. Usually, it certainly would be a lot easy for you to do such things if you already have a teacher to guide you through high school. Your letter should look very enthusiastic. The more details you put in the letter, the better looking your letter would be. Therefore, taking you a step further in your chances of getting into your dream college.
Recommendation letters can also be given by the teachers, coaches and supervisors you had in the past. These letters are also effective as much as letters from your academic teachers are. These may speak a lot about your conduct. You will be judged according to your conduct, productivity level, academics and much more for being eligible. However, your treatment towards the people around you will also be taken into accounts in your letter. So, it is very important for you to understand that in order to survive through high school and prepare yourself for Higher Education, you will be needing to build more relationships to strengthen your networking.
Look for different financial aids
It is very important for you to be active while looking for financial aid. In many steps throughout your educational life, you will be needing assistance in finance for surviving the terrors of a student life. Especially international students who would travel to another country or a city for educational purposes. The cost of living as a student and paying for tuitions and fees for universities and colleges have always been huge headaches for the majority of students across the globe. However, on the side of the spectrum, there is a good news for you. Many countries and states around the world provide different financial aids and facilities such as loans, scholarships, grants from outside sources, ﬁnancial aid from the government, etc.
Many people might find it far off into the future for planning on saving up for college until they reach Senior Year in High School. The earlier you begin to save up for the next step of your education, the easier it will be for you to reach towards success. Therefore, it is crucial for you to maintain good relationships with teachers and be in touch with them.
REQUIREMENTS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
To be eligible enough to get past through college you should have a completed bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualiﬁcation from an internationally recognized institution. Typically, along with your degree or certificate, you will be needing to provide many more things.
The list below gives you a detailed idea of what you might needing in taking your higher education a little further.
- You would be required to provide one or more recommendation letter.
- You will also be needing to research proposal especially for Ph.D. and postdoctoral applicants.
- A graduate admissions test result could be required to give for instance, GRE/GMAT.
- You may also be asked to prove your proﬁciency in English if you are not a native speaker. For example, TOEFL/IELTS.
- Your suitability or interest towards the course may be also required to prove through a statement of purpose, outlining your aspirations.
Documents that are required to provide:
- You will be asked to serve clear copies of mark sheets of class X, XII, and the Bachelor’s degree
- You will be needing reference letters from teachers and professors who have taught you in the past. The number of reference letters usually depends on the university to university.
- If you have worked in the past it is recommended for you to submit a work experience letter from the employer or your manager who is aware of your capabilities and can give comments on your work experience letter.
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is also required to provide.
- You will be needing a resume.
- If the university demands you write any essays, you might have to do that as well.
- You need provide photocopied score reports of GMAT / GRE / IELTS / TOEFL.
- For students who are applying for art and design courses & architecture programs, will be required to provide portfolios.
- Certiﬁcates or achievements at the state and national level and extracurricular activities can also be a part of your requirements if they are expecting you to do so.
Almost all colleges and universities require you to pay an application fee while applying for an admission in a school, college or university. However, the amount of fee may vary on the course or college you are applying for. It may differ from one college, school or university to another. So it is for you to check whether you meet the individual amounts for the school, college or university you are applying for.
The common steps to apply for admission are as follows:
- You need to open your eyes and search for colleges and courses
- You can contact schools and visit websites for gathering up information
- You might have to narrow down your list of schools
- It is required for you to take the entrance exams like SAT, GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS
- You need to write SOPs and ask for LORs
- You might have to apply to the colleges which ﬁt your interests and would be very much suited for you.
- You will be asked to appear for video interviews of the colleges that shortlisted you.
- If your admission gets accepted, you need to apply for a student visa.
Essays: Essays play an important role in terms of getting you admitted into a college or a university. The common topics that most colleges and universities require you to write on are strengths and weaknesses, skills, experiences, and reasons for considering a particular school. Students applying for admission may be required to write more than one or two essays.
SOP: A Statement of Purpose is always written in the first person and describes your reason for applying to a certain college. It is the introduction to the admission officers and the college you are applying for. This letter determines your abilities and capabilities and also why should the college accept you.
LOR: A letter of Recommendation is a reference usually written by the third party. Such as you Teachers or Professors who have taught you in the most. These kinds of letters usually demonstrate your capabilities, characteristics of the prospective student and recommending him the individual college that is suitable for the student.
Here is content from an expert who wrote about research and how to prepare for higher education. This will give you a reason to believe and follow what you have read so far.
“During this time of year, many students of the country are preparing for the start of higher education in the upcoming fruit session, the visa race is slowly beginning to prepare for the Masters or Ph.D.
Except for course-based masters, most master’s degrees are thesis-based. And a Ph.D., of course. So you need to do research for higher education at the graduate level. Again, course-based masters also require research for many course projects. Let’s see how to prepare for the research at this stage.
In the book of studies, I have written about the preparation of all stages of research. But the special things researchers need to keep in mind at the Masters or PhD level are –
– Pure English – Writing in English is very important. Many English introduced in Bangladesh are actually Old English. Instead of writing contemporary English in the conventional sense. And if spelling or grammar is wrong in writing, the problem is many, so learn to use a spellchecker. Along with this, you can learn the proper grammar of proper English grammar. Strunk’s The Elements of Stylebook is quite handy, online.
– Group Work Practices – In the beginning you have to work in group thickness, whether for class or lab. So make it a habit of group work. The rest of the group will depend on you, so the deadline has to be guarded, whatever the task is to do it at any time.
– Speaking, Presenting – All things have to be present, in front of many. So the presentation gives good. Well recorded on mobile, many people have a lot of idiocy which is annoying for the audience. (A student I know said “So” 4 times in a 5-minute presentation. Once in the audience’s ears, so went in for research, sure!).
– Research Ethics – Do not copy and paste, you have to give credit when working with someone, you have to use references all the time. There should be no gaps in protecting Research Ethics.
– Software – Learn to use LaTeX, no comparison is the value of the paper written in it. Also learn how to use Excel, Matlab, R, and so on.
– Technical Report Writing Skills – Learn the formalities of writing these papers, papers, memos, reports, CVs, resumes. (Teacher.com has a slow course on top of that).
– Determining the scope of the research – If you can decide on what to write a thesis about, it is best to have some ideas, but if you do not, at least have some ideas, what you will work on. Take a few hours to study and imagine.
Good luck to the new researchers.”