Applying for Indian passport used to be a complicated process in the past, but things have changed in recent times with good processes and technology. Passport is one of the most important identification documents for a person traveling abroad. Anyone can get a passport at any time, whenever necessary documents and details are produced.
There are several countries, which offer visa-on-arrival facilities while many require a visa before; however, holding a passport is a must for stepping out of the country. The validity of an Indian passport is 10 years, after which it needs to be renewed if or before it expires. Applicants who wish to renew their passport online can make payment and book an appointment on the official website.
The process has become extremely convenient and user-friendly in India with the online Passport Seva website portal. The hassle of running around with physical documents has been reduced to a bare minimum.
There are Passport Seva Kendras in several cities, where people can submit their application form for the renewal of passport. While the form can also be filled and submitted online on the official website, a visit is required to the Passport Seva Kendra after the submission is done. One has to get their appointment done online, and then visit the center (Kendra) on the allotted date along with the required documents.
Table of Contents
Below are the step-by-step online processes for renewal of passport in India:
Register Online at Passport Seva Website
- The very first step is to visit www.passportindia.gov.in (the official website) for registering for the renewal of the passport.
- Users who have already registered on the website can log in using the link ‘existing users’ then ‘Login’.
- New applicants can click on ‘New User’ then click on ‘Register Now’ and register your name.
- You need to select the passport office as per your current residential address and register.
- To register yourself you need to enter your basic details correctly as mentioned like your name, date of birth, email, login ID, password, and hint question.
- After that create a login ID and password.
- A link will be sent on the registered email ID, then click on it to activate your account.
- Login to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the registered login ID and password.
- After logging in to your passport account, select Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport option.
Step 2: Fill out Your Online Application
There are two options to fill out your application form for renewal of passport as per the online system:
Alternative 1: Using a PDF form that can be downloaded and filled offline.
Alternative 2: Using an online form that can be filled it then and there itself.
The benefit of using alternative 1 is that you can fill and save the details multiple numbers of times thereby helping you to correct it if something is wrong.
What information do you need to fill to feel the form?
- Your current address details.
- You need to update your details if you wish or are changing any details about your spouse or any such detail.
- The option to enter references from your village or town is removed now from the passport application, instead, you need Aadhar details. If you are using the PDF form option, you will need to enter the city/ village you are in and then hit validate and Save. It will ask you to save a file (XML file) and name it. You must check all the details carefully and then upload it. If you find something wrong in the details after you upload it, make a note and then you can tell the same at passport service Kendra.
Step 3: Pay and Book a Slot, Print Application Receipt:
- After the document is uploaded, you need to click on the Pay and Schedule Appointment button on the View Saved/Submitted Applications screen and schedule an appointment.
- Then you will have the option to select the nearest Passport Office and the time slot. It will show the available time slots options. Book a slot as per your convenience.
- Once payment is complete, you will have to print the application receipt, having the Application Reference Number (ARN)/Appointment Number. Ensure that is clearly printed and it has the payment confirmation info on it.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) on the appointment day and make sure you carry the application receipt along with all the needed documents as mentioned on the official website in the form of original/photocopy.
1) Online payment is mandatory for booking appointments.
2) Carry the latest passport size photographs (4.5X3.5 cm).
3) All the required original documents must be kept ready with you (also a photocopy of the same).
4) If you do not visit the center within 90 days of filling the form online, you will be required to fill the form again and pay the fees again too.
Step 4: Find the Documents Required for Renewal of Passport
You want to make sure you have all the required documents so that you do not run into any issues when you present your documents at your appointment.
Below is the list of documents that you need:
- Online form plus Application Reference Number (ARN) received at the time of making an online payment.
- Old passport (Original)
- Aadhar (both top and bottom part: for (Address proof and ECNR), Voter ID or another national identity card.
- Proof of address as a utility bill: water, telephone, electricity bills, etc.
- If you are submitting a utility gas bill, PSK will ask for two proofs of gas connections from the previous months
- The utility bill should show statements for at least 2 months. One from the current year, and one from the previous year.
- Ration Card with the address.
- Bank Statement for 1 year, and the passbook of the bank account with the address on it.
- 10th Marks card (for ECNR).
- 1st and last 2 pages of the passport ECR/ECNR pages. ECR page would apply to those who haven’t officially passed their 10th examination and the non-ECNR page would apply to those who have officially passed their 10th board examination.
- Page of Observation, (if any) excluding the 1st and last page related to any additional information or change made in the bio of the passport holder, such as their name, address, etc. made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Validity Extension Page (if any) in a Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The documents listed above are the most basic ones you need for this process. You can find a more comprehensive list on the website.
You might feel you need an agent to handle your renewal of passport in India but the truth is you do not. The process is self-explanatory so that anyone can do it without needing an agent. The only reason you would need an agent would be if you were illiterate or if you do not know how to use a computer, which would make you unable to fill out the online form in the process.
We hope this list has outlined everything well enough for you so that you can renew/reissue your passport without any problems. Just follow the instructions in this guide, and it should be smooth sailing from there!